Dogs are curious by nature and tend to explore out of the way places such as storage areas, firewood piles and weed thickets. These environs put them in contact with insects, dead animals, toxic plants and poison baits.
Dog poisoning is a serious condition and if you don’t get help immediately it could prove fatal for your pet.
Here are specific items that are dangerous to your pet and can be found in every household:
Chemicals may poison your dog if ingested or even inhaled. Keep your dog away from household cleaners and chemicals and make sure your garden pesticides and fertilizers are pet friendly. Chlorine bleach, toilet bowl cleaner, and paint remover can be fatal to your pet.
Antifreeze contains Ethylene Glycol and has a sweet taste and appeals to dogs and cats. Exposure typically occurs when antifreeze is drained from the car radiator and is lapped up by the pet. Less than 3 ounces is enough to poison a 40lb dog. The poison affects the brain and the kidneys.
RAT OR RODENT POISON
Theobromine is a substance that is found in chocolate and cocoa. The darker the chocolate the higher the content of Theobromine. Baking chocolate is the most dangerous. Don’t feed chocolate to dogs, not even in low amounts. Just 4oz of baking chocolate can potentially kill a dog under 9lbs.
Chewing gum contains Xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener that may potentially cause liver damage to your pet.